Google stats

Label / Tag Cloud for this Blog

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Rem Koolhaas on 'Junkspace'

So, I am trawling for new and interesting museum buildings to model in the Digital Craft course and I encounter this densely presented and dense prose.

It reminds me of a doco I saw following Derrida around for some months. You need to understand the person to understand their philosophical writings. I'm still trying to understand the person - that's what still challenges in these 'writings' whether they are text or buildings. A link / person to watch.

But, what's much more interesting in the end is the conference that Rem was presenting to. A conference on the interdisciplinary. A quote on their introduction page places them in the area of research / endeavour theat we have been exploring at Victoria for the life of our school:
"What is interesting is that, in America right now, you cannot pick up any educational document without the word interdisciplinarity. And yet, if you look for interdisciplinarity, you can't find it. . I have not been able to find philosophical or epistemological writings that really talk about what interdisciplinarity really is and how you can have standards, that sort of thing. So, there is a big disjunction between the buzzword aspect and our understanding. My position has been that just as you wouldn't want to call somebody bilingual unless they knew more than one language, you wouldn't want to call someone interdisciplinary unless they know more than one discipline." (Howard Gardner)

No comments:

News View

My del.icio.us most recent bookmarks