Google stats

Label / Tag Cloud for this Blog

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Architecture on the Double - Second Life underwhelms

So there I was in Youtube looking at a couple of architectural links and this was listed as 'related'. A view of using second life for 'architectural design...

I am left hugely underwhelmed, as I was when I took the SL tour ... As I have noted in a previous post http://digital-craft.blogspot.com/2007/03/for-those-of-you-fascinated-by-prospect.html#links the hype about the number of users of SL seems to be just that - hype. This looks like the 'reality' is based on a seriously flawed view of what architecture is / might be. The environment is so diagrammatic, so lacking in atmosphere - charm - subtlety etc that I wonder whether it could ever be anything more than a toy... Simulationists could spend a lifetime exploring how to add light, sound air flow in manner that assisted understanding of the architectural environment, and still not succeed. Whether the work on hdr image viewing devices or auditory enhancement of visual images will be enough only time can tell. At present I prefer to focus on more directly useful and interesting material.

No comments:

News View

My del.icio.us most recent bookmarks