Google stats

Label / Tag Cloud for this Blog

Sunday, June 03, 2007

Cool idea? Or another hyped toy?

There is a cool video referenced by Autodesk's '"It's alive in the lab!" blog and available on youtube:



They note that the technology idea was used in the Minority Report movie.

There is also this REALLY cool video about the same technology toy at Fastcompany.com


Looking at it, I can't help wondering what it really shows.

  • Of course, I'd love a screen that big! And I'd discover many uses for it.
  • And one with that many video feeds that work simultaneously...
  • It has been clear to me for a long time that the mouse is only a poor substitute for the hand in interactivity terms. But do I want to have to wear white gloves or spend ages with some cleaning fluid each week keeping the screen-as-mouse operaional?
  • An interaction work space the size of two offices - that's great for spreading out the work so one can walk up and down and survey more of a whole set of data
  • And wouldn't the wii be a better interface (see Google Reader via wii below)?





What I am not sure about is whether this particular interactive screen technology from this bloke 'solves' the problem.

As yet there seem only to be positive reviews:
I am not convinced. Given the choice, and the budget to play with such toys, I'd like an immersive wrap around wall first. Then this technology for working with it.

No comments:

News View

My del.icio.us most recent bookmarks