Google stats

Label / Tag Cloud for this Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Crystal at the Royal Ontario Museum





























Last year I visited Toronto to present a paper with a colleague at the Architecture Music Acoustics conference. We spent only a couple of days in town, but saw the College of Art and Design - the building on stilts. One of the most intense musical experiences of my life was at this building. A re-enactment of the performance of a Xenakis piece (La Legende D'Eer) "...a powerful 7-channel electro-acoustic composition which Xenakis created in 1977-78 to be played in "Le Diatope", a curvaceous architectural construction designed by the composer, together with a visual component including laser lights. ... composed for the opening of the Centre Georges Pompidou in Paris..."




Just around the corner from the from the College was the street where Frank Gehry apparently grew up. In wandering around to this and to find brunch we came upon a building that in the first version of this blog last night I thought was the one illustrated here and here. However, it turns out this is some more Libeskind. It is no wonder that it bears little resemblance to the billboard illustration that I photographed last year for the Art Gallery of Ontario. I am interested to see on this web site (where the current pictures are from) how things develop.






















3 comments:

Angelo said...

Nice pics! hehe.... hey if you don't get a chance to come to Toronto to see the completed ROM Crystal, hop by my blog again in June, I plan to go to the grand opening June 2.... I'll take lotsa pics. Cheers!

Carol said...

I have left a comment on Angelo de Los Angeles' blog. So fingers crossed. Otherwise it's plan B or C!

Angelo said...

Hi Carol, I got your message. You're interested in Libeskind's Crystal at the Royal Ontario Museum right? I actually took pictures of the Art Gallery of Ontario last summer too, but haven't visited in a while. I'll let you know when I make the trip over there and I'll be sure to take lots of pictures.... anyway, regarding Libeskind's Crystal, have you checked the R.O.M.'s website? http://www.rom.on.ca ... I'm not sure if this is what you need, but if you click on the "Renaissance ROM - Changing the Face of Your Museum" graphic, they have all the plans for each floor available, and they even have some walk-through animations if I'm not mistaken... hope that helps, if you haven't checked it already that is.... let me know if you need any more help :) Cheers!

News View

My del.icio.us most recent bookmarks